Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Turkey sojourn 28 Sept- 12 Oct 2010


“Perhaps the greatest reward of travel is that whenever our bodies are in motion, so are our minds.... I've found that the "inside" of travel can be even more fascinating than its "outside." Wherever we go, as I've been discovering -- around the block or across the globe -- we all carry within us a largely unsuspected capacity that, when activated, produces more vivid and more memorable trips....I call it Deep Travel... a wider awareness in which nothing is taken for granted and everything we encounter seems fresh and new and awaiting discovery. It is like waking up while we're already awake. ”
Deep Travel – Tony Hiss

That is what I love about travelling – that profound awareness, the living completely in the present moment, filled with excitement and delight and energised by the new, the exotic and the unexpected.


And that is why I found myself on the way to Turkey. Accompanying me and joining up with us was a small and diverse group of people whom I quickly became fond of, each in their own way contributing to the magnificent experience that is Turkey.

Leaving Cape Town at 10am Tuesday 28 September, our flight to Turkey via Abu Dhabi was comfortable but extremely long, exacerbated by the 2- hour stop over in Johannesburg . A pleasant selection of movies helped to while away the time while the spectacle of both Mts Kilimanjaro and Kenya peeking up through the clouds at sunset added enchantment to the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment